Our largest annual fund-raiser was the Taste of Vintage, an evening gala event that features yummy samples from local restaurants and a headliner vintage fashion show starring leading women from our community wearing Goodwill finds. Side note: you wouldn’t believe the incredible stuff you can find at a Goodwill store.
Each year, the event got bigger and bigger. Each year, we raised tens-of-thousands of dollars and set an attendance record. Along with the team, we planned every detail of the event, which included:
- Providing creative direction for event invitations, programs and signage
- Searching for vintage clothing and accessories in Goodwill stores
- Recruiting and fitting models in vintage attire
- Coordinating the runway shows with the script, models’ order of appearance, music and lighting
- Obtaining restaurant and corporate sponsorship, along with auction donations
- Managing reservations and seating
- Pitching stories ideas to local media outlets and organizing event coverage
In 2010, I led the initiative to take the event to the next level with re-envisioned branding that felt both vintage and modern – the perfect combination for the fund-raiser. Our concept was a sleek silhouette – little black dresses and pearls a-la Audrey Hepburn. We highlighted the runway show, which was the big draw for the event.
Still using this brand concept, Goodwill will host its 10th annual Taste of Vintage in November 2015.